Reflexology can benefit a woman at every stage of her pregnancy, from conception through all three trimesters, during labour and even post-partum. Pregnancy can be a stressful time for a woman and Reflexology can help ease any anxiety and fear experienced throughout pregnancy. Regular treatments throughout pregnancy may help to balance hormones, boost energy levels and help to keep the body healthy and relaxed. Reflexology can also be used to encourage labour if you are overdue. Midwives often now recommend Reflexology as part of a maternity programme.
Pregnancy Reflexology can help …..
- With relaxation of both the body and mind
- To balance hormones to help regulate your moods
- Boost the immune system
- Regulate sleep wake cycles and encourage good quality sleep.
- Boost and maintain energy levels.
- increase circulation to help with any water retention.
- Ease any muscular aches and pains.
- As your baby’s due date arrives, to prepare your body for labour, which may help to reduce delivery time and assist an easier labour.
- To bring about a natural labour, working gently to encourage contractions to begin.
Preparation For Labour
Reflexology can be used to help prepare your body for labour. Although it is not claimed that Reflexology can induce labour, it is believed to be helpful in the final few weeks and days when stress and anxiety levels often rise. After 37 weeks, certain reflexes are stimulated which are connected to the natural induction of labour to ensure that they are prepared for when the body is ready to begin the birth process. Working these specific reflexes will never cause premature labour.
Stress hormones interfere with birth hormones and can delay the onset of labour. Reflexology can help to reduce stress and leave you feeling calm and relaxed. Treatments change slightly as the due date approaches, with the specialist preparation for labour treatment the focus is on encouraging the birthing process to commence by stimulating the body to produce oxytocin (the hormone involved in labour and birth).
During the appointment you will recieve hand Reflexology points to practice at home and advice on different methods to encourage the natural on set of labour.