What is Pregnancy Reflexology?
Reflexology can benefit a woman at every stage of her pregnancy, from conception through all three trimesters, during labour and even post-partum. Pregnancy can be a stressful time for a woman and Reflexology can help ease any anxiety and fear experienced throughout pregnancy. Regular treatments throughout pregnancy may help to balance hormones, boost energy levels and help to keep the body healthy and relaxed. Reflexology can also be used to encourage labour if you are overdue. Midwives often now recommend Reflexology as part of a maternity programme.
Pregnancy Reflexology can help …..
- With relaxation of both the body and mind
- To balance hormones to help regulate your moods
- Boost the immune system
- Regulate sleep wake cycles and encourage good quality sleep.
- Boost and maintain energy levels.
- increase circulation to help with any water retention.
- Ease any muscular aches and pains.
- As your baby’s due date arrives, to prepare your body for labour, which may help to reduce delivery time and assist an easier labour.
- To bring about a natural labour, working gently to encourage contractions to begin.
Priming and Encouraging Labour
There is no evidence that Reflexology will induce labour, however it can help the body to relax and prepare for when the body is ready to go into labour naturally. After 37 weeks, certain reflexes are stimulated which are connected to the natural induction of labour to ensure that they are prepared for when the body is ready to begin the birth process. Working these specific reflexes will never cause premature labour.