Reflexology is a profoundly relaxing and supportive treatment for women during pregnancy. It helps to prevent or alleviate discomfort arising from hormonal and physiological imbalance and restores the body’s equilibrium. Reflexology is also of great support postnatally.
Maternity reflexology sessions can commence from the beginning of your second trimester of pregnancy (week 14) and support you emotionally and physically right up to labour.
Treatments are intended to encourage your body to relax, help manage any side effects and to create the optimum environment for your baby to develop.
Key Benefits Of Pregnancy Reflexology:
- It reduces stress, anxiety and insomnia
- It offers relief from sickness, vomiting and headaches
- It eases heartburn and constipation
- It reduces oedema (swelling, mainly of the feet and ankles)
- It increases energy levels during what can be a tiring experience
- It offers relief from physical problems; such as, back pain, muscular pain, abdominal pain, groin pain, ligament pain, SPD and pelvic pain
- Enjoy a healthier pregnancy, a shorter labour with less pain relief and a reduced chance of interventions; such as, forceps or C section
Preparation For labour
In the last few weeks of your third trimester of pregnancy as your due date approaches (weeks 37-40) and for those whose babies are overdue (weeks 40+) Reflexology can help to reduce anxiety in preparation for labour.
Specialised Reflexology protocols are used:
- To help turn breech babies (after 36 weeks)
- To prepare for labour
Post Natal Reflexology
After the birth it can be a magical time but also demanding. If you feel down in the dumps, perhaps due to breastfeeding schedules, loss of sleep, postnatal depression or general tiredness and just need a bit of ‘me time,’ Reflexology can really help to bring calm and balance and to also re charge batteries.
Post-natal reflexology will also help aid recovery, boost energy levels, promote milk production and provide much needed relaxation.